Monday, February 05, 2007

Rur-ple segmentation fault on Ubuntu: solved?

Some kind readers have left comments on this blog regarding segmentation faults occurring when trying to run Rur-ple using Ubuntu linux. I finally got around to installing a vmware version of ubuntu so that I could check for myself and believe I found the source of the bug. I would appreciate if someone actually using Ubuntu could verify.

Near the bottom of rur_start.py, a splash screen is started with 100 (milliseconds) as a default. Changing that number to 1000 removed the segmentation fault when running rur-ple in a virtual ubuntu environment.

There is at least one other bug in rur-ple when using a version of wxPython greater than 2.6; it is in lightning.py. Changing "event.KeyCode()" to "event.GetKeyCode()" apparently solves the problem.

Of course, I would be interested in hearing about any other bugs that have been encountered so that I could do a final cleanup before finally releasing the 1.0 version.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I checked with Ubuntu "Edgy Eft". I also get a SEGV when starting and it also disappears when I change line 531 from

"wx.SPLASH_CENTRE_ON_SCREEN|wx.SPLASH_TIMEOUT, 100, None, -1,"

to

"wx.SPLASH_CENTRE_ON_SCREEN|wx.SPLASH_TIMEOUT, 1000, None, -1,"

Not ever really having used rur-ple, I don't know of any other bugs.

Regards,


Björn

André Roberge said...

Thank you Björn, this is the confirmation I needed.

André